Rough work on protocol refactoring

Stef Walter stefw at redhat.com
Thu Feb 13 14:26:49 UTC 2014

So as we discussed elsewhere ... past proof-of-concept, our internal
protocol needs a bit better framing in order to handle the modularity
stuff and be extensible.

 * Use only one Websocket for efficiency
 * Connect out to multiple DBus services (not just cockpitd)
 * Support multiple payload types in future (not only dbus-json)
 * Alternate credentials (ie: initial setup)

Here's a first whack at documenting what it might look like:

https://github.com/stefwalter/cockpit/blob/protocol-refactor/doc/protocol.md

I'm working on some cleanup patches to dbus-server, and building some
testing around it before getting into implementing this.

Stef