suggestions for UI

Alissa Bonas abonas at redhat.com
Wed Apr 9 15:24:16 UTC 2014

Hi,

I'd like to raise for discussion several suggestions for the UI.
Please see attached screenshot.

Suggestion 1:
The part that is marked in red disappears every time a user presses some option ( system services, storage, networking, etc.)
Hence, if user selected category A (let's say storage), and now needs to work on category B (let's say Journal), there's a need to go through clicking in top nav menu on the server (which is a bit not intuitive because the user is already working in the "context" of this server anyway) in order to make the left menu appear, and only then selecting section B.
Hence - 2 actions (top click and left click) in order to manage different things in a same server.

I'd like to suggest to make this menu on the left "static" - always visible.
This way the navigation is much easier, the user always sees it and switching categories requires only one click.

Suggestion 2:
Some categories seem to have few options, and hold basic and general info about the system (for example - "system information" and "shutdown and reboot"). Perhaps they can be merged into fewer categories, or/and be visible in the main view without the need to explicitly navigate to?  Currently this view contains 4 graphs and has plenty of free space anyway.
(I mean here the same view that is present in the screenshot attached).

Thank you.

Alissa