Speeding up the test suite

Marius Vollmer marius.vollmer at redhat.com
Mon Nov 11 12:04:43 UTC 2013

Marius Vollmer <marius.vollmer at redhat.com> writes:

> As a next step, I think I'll try running the actual check-* scripts in
> parallel.  That might be the easiest way to go faster.

There are good new and unwelcome news: Good news is that we can get an
easy speedup (from 8 minutes down to 3 on my 4 core laptop), the
unwelcome news is that this is very successful at exposing bugs in
Cockpits and the tests.

We know that the tests are very racy, and Cockpit plus its dependencies
are also not spotless.  If we want to speed up the tests by running them
in parallel, we need to finally fix those.

For example, UDisks2 has a 15 second timeout for a block device wiping
to be reflected in udev.  It seems to be possible to hit this timeout.