Speeding up the test suite

Marius Vollmer marius.vollmer at redhat.com
Fri Nov 8 14:35:50 UTC 2013

Marius Vollmer <marius.vollmer at redhat.com> writes:

> Here are some VERY round numbers of the current test suite:
>
>     VERIFY:             13:00
>
>     make-rpms:           2:30
>     vm-create:           0:30
>     vm-install:          1:30
>     check-verify:        9:00

I have moved all yum stuff out of VERIFY and into the new PREPARE step.
Also, make-rpms now uses --no-clean.  Results:

    PREPARE:    17:00
    VERIFY:     10:30

    make-rpms:   0:30
    vm-unpack:   0:45
    vm-install:  0:20

The idea is to run PREPARE whenever the OS repos or cockpit-deps changes
enough, and to distribute the result among us.  The actual VERIFY run
then should be isolated from changes in the repos.

Thus, running PREPARE saves time, but it also checks whether any of the
new packages in the repos will break us.  If that happens, we would
continue to use the old tarballs until we figure out the breakage.

As a next step, I think I'll try running the actual check-* scripts in
parallel.  That might be the easiest way to go faster.