[cobbler] Backing up cobbler server

Tim Skirvin tskirvin at fnal.gov
Fri May 9 15:35:46 UTC 2014

Matthew Nicholson <matthew.a.nicholson at gmail.com> writes:

>>         Maybe another way to ask the question: if I wanted to restore my
>> cobbler configuration from tape, what would I have to do besides restore
>> /var/lib/cobbler/* and /etc/cobbler/settings from backup and run 'cobbler
>> sync'?

> 1). We have a full replica system in another data center, which, along with
> having all the system/profile/repo/file/etc data replicated, serves systems
> in that DC w/ dhcp/pxe/kickstart etc. All changes are made on our primary
> and a sync trigger kicks off a replication run to the "slave" system.
> 2). Both systems get their  /var/lib/cobbler (where all the configs live)
> backed up hourly.

        *nod*  This seems to be what the existing cobbler system is
designed for, and all of those pieces seem to work fine.  But it's when
you start leaving the beaten path that things start getting dodgy pretty
fast.

        As far as I can tell, this should work:

   (0.) Backup /var/lib/cobbler/* by some means
    1.  Recover /var/lib/cobbler/* in its entirety from backup
    2.  Install, configure, and start cobbler
    3.  'cobbler sync'

        I'm not sure if steps 1 and 2 have to be ordered that way or not,
and in my experience step 3 can be a bit flaky if anything is missing.
And, more importantly, I'm not *exactly* sure what steps 0-1 entail.

        Maybe the main documentation could include a section on "how to
back up your data"?

                                    - Tim Skirvin (tskirvin at fnal.gov)
--
HPC Systems Administrator / Developer    http://www.linkedin.com/in/tskirvin
       USCMS-T1 Collaboration               Fermilab Scientific Computing