[cobbler] Backing up cobbler server

Matthew Nicholson matthew.a.nicholson at gmail.com
Thu May 8 19:56:34 UTC 2014

So, we do this 2 ways in my shop:

1). We have a full replica system in another data center, which, along with
having all the system/profile/repo/file/etc data replicated, serves systems
in that DC w/ dhcp/pxe/kickstart etc. All changes are made on our primary
and a sync trigger kicks off a replication run to the "slave" system.
2). Both systems get their  /var/lib/cobbler (where all the configs live)
backed up hourly.

Everything else (everything that ends up in  /etc/cobbler/, etc) including
the install, populating our few hundred subnets in to the dhcp.template,
etc etc, is done via puppet (which is in a backed up git repo).

So, I can build a new cobbler instance about 99% hands off, with the 1%
being restoring the contents of /var/lib/cobbler from backup and running a
sync.

On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 2:54 PM, Tim Skirvin <tskirvin at fnal.gov> wrote:

>         What is the current best practice for backing up and restoring a
> cobbler server's data, as part of a disaster recovery scenario?
>
>         The best I can see in the online documentation is to use the
> 'replicate' functionality; but that requires rsync, which seems an odd
> requirement (why not allow ssh?), and it also requires that you have a
> single working cobbler server in the first place.
>
>         Maybe another way to ask the question: if I wanted to restore my
> cobbler configuration from tape, what would I have to do besides restore
> /var/lib/cobbler/* and /etc/cobbler/settings from backup and run 'cobbler
> sync'?
>
>                                     - Tim Skirvin (tskirvin at fnal.gov)
> --
> HPC Systems Administrator / Developer
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/tskirvin
>        USCMS-T1 Collaboration               Fermilab Scientific Computing

Matthew Nicholson