[cobbler] Kickstaring across a site-to-site link

Caleb Moniot calebm at elementaltechnologies.com
Fri Aug 15 00:53:49 UTC 2014

Cobblers,

I'm sure I'm not the only one in this situation so I'm hoping some others
in the cobbler community can lend me the benefit of their experience in
this scenario.

I'm in a environment where I don't have control over the DHCP
configuration. To get around this I setup cobbler and used dnsmasq's
proxy-dhcp feature. This has been working great but now we've grown beyond
our current server room and have added a new building with a site-to-site
link. The servers I need to kickstart to are across this link. Everything's
routed so I can access the systems (physical, VM hosts, etc) normally when
they have and OS. The problem is that my cobbler server now can't hear
their DHCP requests so they don't pxe boot.

For the time being I'm using the buildiso feature of cobbler to create an
ISO that contains all the system entries for the servers across the link
and using that to boot them for kickstarting. This gets them kickstarted
but we're in a testing environment so this process will be done frequently
(sometimes multiple times per day).  Manually booting, selecting the
correct system entry, then detaching the ISO once complete will quickly
become cumbersome when kickstarting lots of systems.

So far what's I've considered is:

   - Direct connect from cobbler server to remote site.
   - Mirrored cobbler server at remote site.

Are there any other features of cobbler that I could leverage to solve this
problem or does anyone else have recommendations from their experience in a
similar situation?

Sincerely,

Caleb Moniot