[cobbler] Ether-wake Power Template

Orion Poplawski orion at cora.nwra.com
Wed Aug 13 22:27:44 UTC 2014

On 08/12/2014 02:59 PM, Eric N. Jones wrote:
> I had a working power management for magic packets up until the most recent
> update pushed through the EPEL repo to version 2.6.3. Now when I try to
> remotely power on a machine, I get a message like this:
>
> # cobbler system poweron --name=cf238
>
> task started: 2014-08-12_151242_power
>
> task started (id=Power management (on), time=Tue Aug 12 15:12:42 2014)
>
> failed to execute power task on cf238
>
> *** TASK COMPLETE ***
>
> Unfortunately, this doesn’t give me any information about what might be
> failing and there is no additional information in the logs in
> /var/log/cobbler.  My power template looks like this
> (/etc/cobbler/power/fence_ether_wake.template):
>
> fence_ether_wake "$power_address"

Hmm, I don't have any idea - perhaps behavior changed with 2.4 -> 2.6 (I hope
not).  While poking around found a couple other issues:

- The default settings config has:

# settings for power management features.  optional.
# see https://github.com/cobbler/cobbler/wiki/Power-management to learn more
# choices (refer to codes.py):
#    apc_snmp bladecenter bullpap drac ether_wake ilo integrity
#    ipmilan ipmitool lpar rsa virsh wti
power_management_default_type: 'ipmitool'

but:

- The link doesn't exist.  Perhaps should be
http://www.cobblerd.org/manuals/2.6.0/4/5_-_Power_Management.html
- codes.py doesn't seem to contain anything useful
- The shipped fence files seems to be:
fence_apc_snmp.template
fence_bladecenter.template
fence_bullpap.template
fence_drac.template
fence_ilo.template
fence_ipmilan.template
fence_lpar.template
fence_rsa.template
fence_virsh.template
fence_wti.template

So ether_wake, integrity, and impitool are now gone, but perhaps expected:
https://github.com/cobbler/cobbler/issues/315

Probably should be removed from the list though.

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                       orion at nwra.com