[cobbler] Problem Following Upgrade To 2.6

Phil Edwards phil at linux2000.com
Wed Aug 13 16:18:26 UTC 2014

Just stumbled across a problem that had me resorting to the power of
Google for a fix today...

Cobbler server OS is CentOS 6.5 x86_64

Cobbler itself is installed from the packages in the EPEL repository and
was upgraded from 2.4 to 2.6 overnight.

# rpm -qa|grep -i cobbler
cobbler-web-2.6.3-1.el6.noarch
cobbler-2.6.3-1.el6.noarch

On restarting httpd and cobblerd, I was getting an exception when
accessingthe web interface:

Exception Type: ImportError
Exception Value: cannot import name patterns
Exception Location: /usr/share/cobbler/web/cobbler_web/urls.py in
<module>, line 1
Python Executable: /usr/bin/python
Python Version: 2.6.6

It turns out that this is caused by the fact that the Django package
version in EPEL is still at 1.3.7. The fix is to change the line at the
top of /usr/share/cobbler/web/cobbler_web/urls.py from:

from django.conf.urls import patterns

to:

from django.conf.urls.defaults import *

And, of course, wait for the EPEL maintainers to get Django 1.4
packaged! The only question I have is whether there s nay other
functionality in v2.6 that relies upon something specific to Django 1.4?

--

Regards

Phil Edwards   |  PGP/GnuPG Key Id
Brighton, UK   |  0xD5D8F53C