[cobbler] Enabling pxe boot option via ipmi?

Nishanth Aravamudan nacc at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Aug 13 16:25:43 UTC 2014

On 13.08.2014 [16:56:15 +0200], Andr? Gem?nd wrote:
> They act on two different levels. The ipmi chassis bootdev pxe command
> really sets the device that the BIOS probes for booting. That way you
> don't need to set your machine boot order to prefer network boots
> permanently in BIOS, but can leave the default and change it ad-hoc.
> We also use this (but trigger it manually).

Right, to make it explicit:

pxe_just_once is a Cobbler-level configuration bit, which tells a
Cobbler snippet to unset "netboot-enabled" for a system when it finishes
the install (that actually is in the snippet itself). So it translates
to "configure the Cobbler server to PXE boot this system once".

The IPMI command is on the physical system (target) and tells it to use
the network interface to boot on the next boot. The boot after that
should go back to the default boot order (unknown to Cobbler). So it
translates to "configure the victim server to PXE boot on the next
reboot".

Thanks,
Nish