[cobbler] Cobbler uses DHCP instead of a static IP

Andrew Hamilton ahamilton55 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 19:00:28 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 9:52 AM, Elliott Barrere <elliott at mywedding.com>wrote:

> Zack Perry <zack.perry <at> sbcglobal.net> writes:
>
> > That's OK. When you do PXE network install, a DHCP server is a
> > mandatory component. Once installed, the system can use a different
> > network interface for production.  This is fine.
>
> Figured.  That't the current setup.
>
> > If your kickstart template has provided all necessary information,
> > then anaconda shouldn't prompt you for anything.  There are two ways
> > that you can do:
> >
> > 0. Use the kickstart logging option to log everything to a remote
> >    logging server
>
> Sounds like a nice option, however this is before the system has any IP
> addresses so I don't suppose it will be able to syslog remotely :)
>
> > 1. In /etc/cobbler/settings, turn on anamon, and use the anamon
> >    snippets in the /var/lib/cobbler/snippets to help you get the
> >    installation log
>
> I will look in to this.
>
> > Granted, the above logs won't appear until anaconda is started. So,
> > in case like this, I would use tcpdump to figure out what's going on.
>
> It only gets to Anaconda init before trying DHCP, so I doubt either of the
> above log methods will work.  What would you look for in a packet capture?
> guess the kickstart file could be sniffed from the wire?

This isn't really and issue with the kickstart file as at this stage the
Anaconda installer hasn't downloaded it. The kickstart is downloaded after
the network has been setup. If you want to have eth1 used for DHCP you'll
need to change the "ksdevice" entry that is passed to the kernel by adding
"ksdevice=eth1" to the "Kernel Options" of the system (or profile). You can
also setup a static IP on an interface with kernel arguments as well.

http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Installation_Guide-en-US/s1-kickstart2-startinginstall.html

I'm not sure if this is totally what you're looking for but I hope it helps.

Regards,

Andrew