[cobbler] cobbler 2.4.0, Fedora 17, eth0 and em1

Zack Perry zack.perry at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 21 05:55:51 UTC 2012

Hi James,

> > [root at cobbler ~]# cobbler system
> edit --name=nb2 --interface=em1 --delete-interface
> > At least one interface needs to be defined.
> > [root at cobbler ~]#
> >
> > IMHO, this should be considered as a bug.
>
> I just realized why this is. Systems always have one
> interface, even if they look like they have none (the secret
> default eth0 interface).
>
> But when you add an interface, it takes the place of the
> default, and if you try and remove it cobbler will give you the
> above error message. It worked on my system because I had two
> interfaces defined.

Yeah.  My physical test systems are just a few Acer Aspire One
D257 netbooks with one interface for wire, and another one for WiFi.

> In order to remove em1, you'll need to define a new
> interface first.

Not for me ;-( Please see the actual session below:

[root at cobbler ~]# cobbler system report --name=nb2
Name                           : nb2
TFTP Boot Files                : {}
Comment                        :
Enable gPXE?                   : 0
Fetchable Files                : {}
Gateway                        : 192.168.1.254
Hostname                       : nb2
Image                          :
IPv6 Autoconfiguration         : False
IPv6 Default Device            :
Kernel Options                 : {}
Kernel Options (Post Install)  : {}
Kickstart                      : <<inherit>>
Kickstart Metadata             : {}
LDAP Enabled                   : False
LDAP Management Type           : authconfig
Management Classes             : []
Management Parameters          : <<inherit>>
Monit Enabled                  : False
Name Servers                   : []
Name Servers Search Path       : []
Netboot Enabled                : False
Owners                         : ['admin']
Power Management Address       :
Power Management ID            :
Power Management Password      :
Power Management Type          : ipmitool
Power Management Username      :
Profile                        : sl6-ph-x86_64
Proxy                          : <<inherit>>
Red Hat Management Key         : <<inherit>>
Red Hat Management Server      : <<inherit>>
Repos Enabled                  : False
Server Override                : <<inherit>>
Status                         : production
Template Files                 : {}
Virt Auto Boot                 : <<inherit>>
Virt CPUs                      : <<inherit>>
Virt Disk Driver Type          : <<inherit>>
Virt File Size(GB)             : <<inherit>>
Virt Path                      : <<inherit>>
Virt RAM (MB)                  : <<inherit>>
Virt Type                      : <<inherit>>
Interface =====                : eth0
Bonding Opts                   :
Bridge Opts                    :
DHCP Tag                       :
DNS Name                       : nb2
Master Interface               :
Interface Type                 :
IP Address                     : 192.168.1.12
IPv6 Address                   :
IPv6 Default Gateway           :
IPv6 MTU                       :
IPv6 Secondaries               : []
IPv6 Static Routes             : []
MAC Address                    : e8:9a:8f:17:1b:eb
Management Interface           : False
MTU                            :
Subnet Mask                    : 255.255.255.0
Static                         : True
Static Routes                  : []
Virt Bridge                    :

[...]

[root at cobbler ~]# cobbler system edit --name=nb2 --interface=eth0 --delete-interface
At least one interface needs to be defined.
[root at cobbler ~]#

Not to worry.  I can get around this "issue" in a kludgy way for now.
Once I am done my full battery of tests, I will fire up epdb and
see what's going on.

Have a restful night and thanks again!

Regards,

-- Zack