[cobbler] Can 'Template Files' be in jinja2?

Zack Perry zack.perry at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 19 18:15:27 UTC 2012

cobbler: 2.4.0 from epel-testing
server: SL 6.3 64bit
target: Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS server

Out of curiosity, I tried to use the jinja2 for a template file in
/srv/cobbler/sources.j2 as follows:

#template=jinja2
#

# See http://help.ubuntu.com/community/UpgradeNotes for how to upgrade to
# newer versions of the distribution.
deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ {{ os_version }} main restricted
deb-src http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ {{ os_version }} main restricted
[...]

In the system object, I have:

Template Files                 : {'/srv/cobbler/sources.j2': '/etc/apt/sources.list'}

The intention is to replace all lines in the /etc/apt/sources.list
that have the local repo URL with the official ones. Note, this
is done just for experiment.  At work, we always use our own repo
mirror.

But, even with python-jinja2 installed on the cobbler server,
I have been getting the following in the installed services.list:

# ERROR: JINJA2 NOT AVAILABLE. Maybe you need to install python-jinja2?

But, as evident from below, the cobbler host has it!

[root at cobbler ~]# rpm -qi python-jinja2
Name        : python-jinja2                Relocations: (not relocatable)
Version     : 2.2.1                             Vendor: Dag Apt Repository, http://dag.wieers.com/apt/
Release     : 1.el6.rf                      Build Date: Fri 23 Mar 2012 05:33:19 AM PDT
Install Date: Mon 19 Nov 2012 09:34:01 AM PST      Build Host: lisse.hasselt.wieers.com
Group       : Development/Languages         Source RPM: python-jinja2-2.2.1-1.el6.rf.src.rpm
Size        : 2379618                          License: BSD
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Tue 03 Apr 2012 06:26:16 AM PDT, Key ID a20e52146b8d79e6
Packager    : Dag Wieers <dag at wieers.com>
URL         : http://jinja.pocoo.org/
Summary     : General purpose template engine
Description :
Jinja2 is a template engine written in pure Python.  It provides a
Django inspired non-XML syntax but supports inline expressions and an
optional sandboxed environment.

If you have any exposure to other text-based template languages, such
as Smarty or Django, you should feel right at home with Jinja2. It's
both designer and developer friendly by sticking to Python's
principles and adding functionality useful for templating
environments.

Is it true that the jinja2 support is only available to snippets?
That's my impression from reading /etc/cobbler/settings so far.

Regards,

-- Zack