Wiki port of manage docs now up / edit away!

Michael DeHaan michael.dehaan at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 17:21:09 UTC 2011

No, there's no reason to limit it, nor any reason to assume the status quo must hold.

There's nothing saying koan can't gain more support for more idempotent configuration runs and couldn't be put on a crontab.   This is probably an area where it will only grow.    Most of the complexity in configuration management tools is not needed when the packages do most of the work.   What's left is mostly around blasting out templates, and if you need a more complex system, it can integrate with those.    Is Cobbler just a provisioning app when it also does repo mirroring and updates, and can reboot your machines for you?   Not really.

I actually like what's been added to Cobbler to support better files/package integration a good amount.   Incredibly lightweight, super simple, and doesn't require you to learn a programming language.   Plus I really like that you can use the same templates for kickstart that you use post-kickstart.

Now imagine using Func or another tool to trigger koan runs, and you have a full system.   (But we'll leave choosing that up to you, crontab would be fine).

Writing a configuration management system into Cobbler (well, Func) was always something I wanted to do, it was always not organizationally compatible.

To be clear, I have no interest in competing with full-on management stacks -- there's nothing to win -- but for people who still want to manage their systems simply without learning a modeling language I think we can do that very very well.

And, in accordance with Cobbler philosophy, we'll not force you to go either way.

Configuration is largely about files.  We help you manage those things at runtime.   Nothing wrong with using the word.

Many folks who are pushing out hosted apps with different deployment models (even Capistrano, etc), just don't need something that heavy.

--Michael