snippet keep_ssh_host_keys not running in background

Gary Algier gaa at ulticom.com
Thu Dec 22 15:03:56 UTC 2011

Try modifying the snippet to have the while inside a subshell:

Original:
# Loop until the corresponding rpm is installed
if [ "$keys_found" = "yes" ]; then
     while : ; do
         sleep 10
     done &
fi

Use subshell:
# Loop until the corresponding rpm is installed
if [ "$keys_found" = "yes" ]; then
     (
     while : ; do
         sleep 10
     done
     ) &
fi

I have found other times that some versions of bash do not parse properly with
& on the line.  The version of bash you are using is a function of what is
supplied on the target system _and_ it is what's on the minimal install
environment which may not keep up with fixes.

On 12/22/11 09:48, Detlev Habicht wrote:
> No ... it doesn't help. :-(
>
> In the main screen i see "Running pre-installation scripts" and nothing happen
> anymore.
> Via ps i can see, the script is still running.
>
> I put "exit" one time in the snippet and the other time in the %pre section.
>
> Detlev
>
> --
> Detlev | Institut fuer Mikroelektronische Systeme
> Habicht | D-30167 Hannover +49 511 76219662 habicht at ims.uni-hannover.de
> <mailto:habicht at ims.uni-hannover.de>
> --------+-------- Handy +49 172 5415752 ---------------------------
>
> Am 22.12.2011 um 15:38 schrieb Detlev Habicht:
>
>> Yes ... the install process stops, so the script is not in the background.
>> I can see it, when i use terminal access via ALT F2 etc.
>>
>> You mean something like this?:
>>
>> %pre
>> $SNIPPET('keep_ssh_host_keys')
>> exit
>> %end
>>

>> Detlev
>>
>> --
>> Detlev | Institut fuer Mikroelektronische Systeme
>> Habicht | D-30167 Hannover +49 511 76219662 habicht at ims.uni-hannover.de
>> <mailto:habicht at ims.uni-hannover.de>
>>
>> Am 22.12.2011 um 15:19 schrieb Mann, Owen:
>>
>>> Are you sure its not backgrounding?
>>> I've not pinned down the exact cause, but I've had a similar problem in the
>>> past. I found that an explicit `exit` at the end of %pre solved my problem.

Gary Algier, WB2FWZ          gaa at ulticom.com             +1 856 787 2758
Ulticom Inc., 1020 Briggs Rd, Mt. Laurel, NJ 08054      Fax:+1 856 866 2033

Nielsen's First Law of Computer Manuals:
     People don't read documentation voluntarily.