[cobbler-devel] Cobbler CLI: cobbler aclsetup

Jörgen Maas jorgen.maas at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 06:34:03 UTC 2014

Hey Alan,

Actually, i have no idea. Never used Cobbler cli as a regular user :S

Looking at the code; i suppose the most obvious use-case is that the cli is
for the Cobbler admin only.
There's no clean separation between client and server (importing the item_*
stuff requires the complete server package)

Easiest way forward is to kill dead-code / features. Though it's probably
nicer to separate client/server (also in packaging).

Is this something you want to work on? Do you have other use-cases for the
cli?

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 4:47 PM, Alan Evangelista <alanoe at linux.vnet.ibm.com
> wrote:

> On 03/24/2014 10:54 PM, Alan Evangelista wrote:
>
>> Could someone make this command purpose clearer?
>> Is this command still useful at all?
>>
>> In cobbler/action_acl.py, I read:
>>
>> "Configures acls for various users/groups so they can access the cobbler
>> command
>> line as non-root.  Now that CLI is largely remoted (XMLRPC) this is
>> largely just
>> useful for not having to log in (access to shared-secret) file but also
>> grants
>> access to hand-edit various config files and other useful things."
>>
>> Reading this, Cobbler CLI purpose becomes unclear to me. If it is
>> supposed to be a Cobbler admin-only
>> tool, it makes sense that is only accessibly by root user in the server.
>> If it is supposed to be used
>> by regular users, users should be able to run CLI from anywhere (eg their
>> local workstations) and the
>> CLI should connect to remote Cobbler server using XML-RPC interface.
>>

> Jörgen, could you please provide feedback about this?
>
> At first sight, it seems to me that CLI should run from anywhere.
>

> Regards,
> Alan Evangelista

Grtz,
Jörgen Maas