Event Model Design

James Bowes jbowes at redhat.com
Tue May 18 19:39:59 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 03:23:48PM -0400, Justin Harris wrote:

> ----- "Devan Goodwin" <dgoodwin at rm-rf.ca> wrote:
>
> > Just sketching out some rough notes on the event model after
> > conversations with Dmitri:
> >
> > https://fedorahosted.org/candlepin/wiki/EventModel
> >
> > This will be changing a bit but that's the general idea thus far.
> > Lemme know what you think. Going to start prototyping and see what
> > happens.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Devan
>
> We touched on this earlier, but how should we handle a failure/exception by a particular handler?
>
> We could either:
>  - Keep going and silently ignore it
>  - Treat each event as a transaction and roll everything back (this seems hard)
>  - Maybe treat the default db persistence as a special case and only fire other events if this succeeds?
>  - probably other ways

We're actually talking about event publication rather than the event
itself (the event being, for example, creating a new consumer), right?
So regardless of what happens during publication, the
event has occured. In that case, I'd say we run all the publication
actions on their own, and retry any that fail a configurable number of
times.