HATEOAS Patch

Jesus M. Rodriguez jesusr at redhat.com
Tue Aug 24 14:37:11 UTC 2010

On 08/24/2010 10:04 AM, Justin Harris wrote:

> ----- "Devan Goodwin" <dgoodwin at rm-rf.ca> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 9:57 AM, Devan Goodwin <dgoodwin at rm-rf.ca>
>> wrote:
>>> Still to do:
>>> - Possibly serialize ID along with href. (watch out for
>> consumer.uuid
>>> and soon, owner.key.)
>>
>> Do we want this HATEOAS form of an object to contain "id" and "href"
>> both? My concern with the ID is that if you serialize a consumer, you
>> have an "id" which is a numeric database ID, but the "uuid" is the
>> actual ID we use in all URLs. It seems all kinds of wrong to return
>> "id" = "uuid" when the HATEOAS serialization kicks in, and then "id"
>> =
>> int when you follow that link.
>>
>> Perhaps consumer.id needs to go away?
>
> Yeah this is a good point - if consumer uuid truly is unique, then it seems
> to me that it is an appropriate primary key in the db as well.
>

>> We were talking about making owner.key the URL identifier for owners
>> as well, should that also become owner.id and behave just like
>> consumer UUIDs?
>
> +1 for this as well.  But in both of these scenarios I think that it will involve
> a little more error messaging with the client, because in both of these scenarios the
> client can provide the primary key, which can easily mean collisions.  Not a big deal to
> handle, but it does mean that the client should be able to display an error message saying
> that the provided (uuid/key) is in use and a different one should be provided.

What about the case where we allow a system to pass in their
own uuids?

jesus

- --
jesus m. rodriguez          | jesusr at redhat.com
principal software engineer | irc: zeus
red hat systems management  | 919.754.4413 (w)
rhce # 805008586930012      | 919.623.0080 (c)
|   "Those who cannot remember the past       |
|    are condemned to repeat it."             |
|                        -- George Santayana  |