HATEOAS Patch

Justin Harris jharris at redhat.com
Tue Aug 24 14:04:15 UTC 2010

----- "Devan Goodwin" <dgoodwin at rm-rf.ca> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 9:57 AM, Devan Goodwin <dgoodwin at rm-rf.ca>
> wrote:
> > Still to do:
> > - Possibly serialize ID along with href. (watch out for
> consumer.uuid
> > and soon, owner.key.)
>
> Do we want this HATEOAS form of an object to contain "id" and "href"
> both? My concern with the ID is that if you serialize a consumer, you
> have an "id" which is a numeric database ID, but the "uuid" is the
> actual ID we use in all URLs. It seems all kinds of wrong to return
> "id" = "uuid" when the HATEOAS serialization kicks in, and then "id"
> =
> int when you follow that link.
>
> Perhaps consumer.id needs to go away?

Yeah this is a good point - if consumer uuid truly is unique, then it seems
to me that it is an appropriate primary key in the db as well.

> We were talking about making owner.key the URL identifier for owners
> as well, should that also become owner.id and behave just like
> consumer UUIDs?

+1 for this as well.  But in both of these scenarios I think that it will involve
a little more error messaging with the client, because in both of these scenarios the
client can provide the primary key, which can easily mean collisions.  Not a big deal to
handle, but it does mean that the client should be able to display an error message saying
that the provided (uuid/key) is in use and a different one should be provided.