[Beaker-devel] Simplify inventorying systems in Beaker

Dan Callaghan dcallagh at redhat.com
Mon May 4 05:39:28 UTC 2015

Excerpts from Nick Coghlan's message of 2015-05-04 15:33 +10:00:
> One thing that did occur to me is that it's likely desirable to use
> the
> latest *released* version of the relevant family, rather than the latest
> version available (since the latter might be a testing tree).

Yes that's true, the filter criterion should be

    <distro_arch value="$thearch"/>
    <distro_family value="$selectedfamily"/>
    <distro_tag value="RELEASED"/>

which reminds me that the logic also needs to pick a preferred arch when
the system supports multiple arches (should prefer 64-bit over
32-bit/31-bit, and for PPC prefer big-endian).

And it also needs to handle systems which don't support *any*
RHEL/CentOS/Fedora but only a RHEL-alike under a different name. For
example the internal-only aarch64 product.

Also note that in those cases, there will probably be no RELEASED trees.
Also note that RELEASED is done by hand by admins nowadays so a fresh
Beaker installation may not have any trees with that tag. Therefore if
there are no trees in the family tagged RELEASED, it should just use the
latest available tree.

--
Dan Callaghan <dcallagh at redhat.com>
Software Engineer, Products & Technologies Operations