[Beaker-devel] OpenStack based dynamic virtualization

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at redhat.com
Wed Dec 18 08:41:45 UTC 2013

On 12/18/2013 06:23 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> We've been talking about possibly changing the existing dynamic
> virtualization to work with OpenStack instead of oVirt for a while, and
> I've now hammered that into a hopefully coherent concrete proposal:
>
> http://beaker-project.org/dev/proposals/dynamic-virtualization.html
>
> The key points in there are too:
>
> - associate lab controllers with OpenStack regions
> - map host filtering to flavour filtering
> - generate bootstrap images in Glance as part of distro import
> - use the bootstrap images for dynamic provisioning (rather than
> configuring netboot and then rebooting the system)
> - ensure console logging is hooked up properly

Gah, missed one: we also need to decide on what we want to do in terms
of network configuration. I did think of this (that's why the note is
there about only supporting Havana and later), I just forgot to include
the relevant details in the first draft.

Anyway, because of the way OpenStack works, Beaker is going to have to
take care of properly associating machines with IP addresses, and making
sure they can see the rest of the Beaker lab. We can't just declare it a
"lab management DHCP configuration problem" the way we do for bare metal
systems :)

One key requirement is that the systems provisioned in OpenStack still
need to be able to connect to the lab controller, so all provisioned
systems will need to be connected back to the lab network, even if all
the recipes in the recipe set are running in OpenStack.

To delay the point where we start dynamically creating and destroying
network definitions, I suggest we just run with a really simple model
for the initial iteration: as part of the per-lab-controller
configuration, we say which network to use. Then we can just configure
the network and its routing appropriately in OpenStack, and just deal
with handing out IP addresses appropriately when creating the VMs.

At some point in the future we may explore isolated subnets per test,
but there are limits to the effectiveness of that since the systems will
always need to be able to access at least the lab controller, even if we
block them off from other parts of the lab.

Cheers,
Nick.

--
Nick Coghlan