[imgfac] centos, support for non-cloud xen, vmware (persona/enterprise)

Matt Wagner matt.wagner at redhat.com
Wed May 22 14:10:20 UTC 2013

On Wed May 22 09:33:05 2013, Anthony R Tiradani wrote:
> Hi Darren,
>
> It appears that this project is also being deprecated, which is a real
> shame.

A number of projects under the Aeolus umbrella are no longer being
developed, but fortunately for Darren, Imagefactory (and Oz, AFAIK)
remain active.

(The other projects are still out there if people wish to use them or
take them over, but the original developers are no longer maintaining them.)

> On May 22, 2013, at 8:04 AM, Darren Hartford wrote:

>> Are there plans, or already in place, the ability to create a CentOS
>> based image targetting Xen and/or VMWare (personal & enterprise)
>> virtual environments (if not, any recommendations)?

I don't work on this part so my knowledge is a bit limited, but if I'm
understanding you correctly, you should be able to do this.

http://imgfac.org/documentation/imagefactory.html talks a bit about
doing this sort of thing with Imagefactory on the CLI.

https://github.com/clalancette/oz/tree/master/examples has some examples
of the template syntax. (Used by both Oz and Imagefactory.) The examples
are a bit dated, but the syntax is correct. There is a <rootpw> tag
inside <os> that can be used to set a default root password. Our example
for RHEL depicts it being used:
https://github.com/aeolusproject/conductor/wiki/Building-Images-for-RHEL
(It's not at all RHEL-specific, that was just the first page I saw with
an example.)

These are about the bounds of my knowledge on the subject, though.
Hopefully someone with a little more knowledge will pop in shortly to
fill in the blanks.

-- Matt