Notifications between Aeolus components

Martin Povolny mpovolny at redhat.com
Wed Jan 23 10:25:26 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 10:09:49AM -0800, David Lutterkort wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-01-09 at 08:01 -0500, Bryan Kearney wrote:
> > > +1. We tried AMQP / QMF before and it ended up being a pain. Introduced
> > > another service / point of failure.
> > Just thinking out loud... QMF is a pain but is dead now I think. if you
> > do callbacks you have to buy off on alot of networking. Can you put
> > image factory in EC2 and run Aeolous in house?
>
> This is a very important point: the big difference between a webhook
> approach and using messaging is that if A wants to notify B, in a
> webhook world A needs to be able to establish a network connection to B
> (so A in EC2 and B behind the firewall won't work) whereas in a amqp
> world A and B only need to be able to get to possibly different brokers
> that can talk to each other (e.g. A and B both to a broker in EC2).
>
> When you want to work around that with messaging-over-HTTP, you'll have
> to resort to things that really strain HTTP, like long polling.

Thank you for the comment.

It might seem obvious but seeing it written so explicitly helps a lot.

I am having bad dreams since the start of this thread and (although it was
not explicitly stated) from the idea of trying to implement a library
what would do "reliable REST callbacks" as part of our project.

--
Martin Povolny <mpovolny at redhat.com>
tel. +420777714458