Notifications between Aeolus components

David Lutterkort lutter at redhat.com
Tue Jan 22 18:09:49 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-01-09 at 08:01 -0500, Bryan Kearney wrote:
> > +1. We tried AMQP / QMF before and it ended up being a pain. Introduced
> > another service / point of failure.
> Just thinking out loud... QMF is a pain but is dead now I think. if you
> do callbacks you have to buy off on alot of networking. Can you put
> image factory in EC2 and run Aeolous in house?

This is a very important point: the big difference between a webhook
approach and using messaging is that if A wants to notify B, in a
webhook world A needs to be able to establish a network connection to B
(so A in EC2 and B behind the firewall won't work) whereas in a amqp
world A and B only need to be able to get to possibly different brokers
that can talk to each other (e.g. A and B both to a broker in EC2).

When you want to work around that with messaging-over-HTTP, you'll have
to resort to things that really strain HTTP, like long polling.

David