Code Climate

Jiří Stránský jistr at redhat.com
Tue Jan 22 12:33:57 UTC 2013

On 22.1.2013 12:05, Imre Farkas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Yesterday I came across a new service called Code Climate which provides code metrics based on static analysis of the code. It is only for Ruby and it's free for opensource projects. I added Conductor and it gave the result back in a minute. You can check them at: https://codeclimate.com/github/aeolusproject/conductor
>
> It also has an activity feed which is now empty but as soon as new commits will be added to Conductor it will be evaluated and will appear in the feed. You can subscribe to it via RSS or we you can receive updates via email. By doing that you will receive immediate feedback of your code.

Very cool.

> I think it's a pretty awesome service and I would like to take one step further. Ideally, we could use this site with the intent to improve our code quality. Currently, a huge part of our business logic is concentrated in a few classes. It's already causing headaches for us and it will just get worse. Martin also wrote about the need to refactor certain parts of our codebase [1], with which I completely agree.
>
> To handle this issue we could allocate a small portion of every sprint from now on to refactor the worst part of Conductor. Using Code Climate, we can identify hot spots easily (not that it would be hard on our own) and we will receive instant feedback on our effort.

+1. I think refactorings could be normal sprint tasks. Imho having code in a good shape is vital for keeping projects maintainable.

Actually, yesterday I reported first "needs refactoring" issue against CLI and I hope we can track such issues with a github issue label "refactoring", to find them easily.

J.