Code Climate

Imre Farkas ifarkas at redhat.com
Tue Jan 22 11:05:23 UTC 2013

Hi,

Yesterday I came across a new service called Code Climate which provides
code metrics based on static analysis of the code. It is only for Ruby
and it's free for opensource projects. I added Conductor and it gave the
result back in a minute. You can check them at:
https://codeclimate.com/github/aeolusproject/conductor

It also has an activity feed which is now empty but as soon as new
commits will be added to Conductor it will be evaluated and will appear
in the feed. You can subscribe to it via RSS or we you can receive
updates via email. By doing that you will receive immediate feedback of
your code.

I think it's a pretty awesome service and I would like to take one step
further. Ideally, we could use this site with the intent to improve our
code quality. Currently, a huge part of our business logic is
concentrated in a few classes. It's already causing headaches for us and
it will just get worse. Martin also wrote about the need to refactor
certain parts of our codebase [1], with which I completely agree.

To handle this issue we could allocate a small portion of every sprint
from now on to refactor the worst part of Conductor. Using Code Climate,
we can identify hot spots easily (not that it would be hard on our own)
and we will receive instant feedback on our effort.

What do you think?

Imre

[1]
https://lists.fedorahosted.org/pipermail/aeolus-devel/2013-January/013695.html