Aeolus Team Leads

Matt Wagner matt.wagner at redhat.com
Fri Jan 11 21:20:20 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 11:05:27AM +0100, Jaromír Coufal wrote:

> On 9.1.2013 20:54, Hugh Brock wrote:
> >[snip]
> >
> >For what it's worth, I've asked about the OpenStack model for this, and
> >it is:
> >
> >* Each project has a group of core contributors who have commit rights
> >   for that project. Core contributors can vote to accept other folks as
> >   core.
> >
> >* Each project has a yearly vote among the core contributors to choose a
> >   project technical lead for the project.
> >
> >Fairly simple. In our case of course everyone on a project is core,
> >we're not so big that we have people sending patches who don't have
> >commit rights. Hopefully that will happen at some point.
> >
> >Thoughts on this?
> >
> >--Hugh
> >
> Sounds good, when we have more contributors. In this particular
> moment I don't think, that it is applicable in our team. I think that
> system of reviews, which we currently have, works well for now. Once
> we grow and have more contributors, the "OpenStack approach" might
> help.

I agree with Jarda here; I don't think this is appropriate for us right
now. I also think it's more about who can commit code than on how
decisions are made or how consensus is reached.

Ignoring lkml antics, I don't think the job of a "core" with commit
rights is to make decisions independently. I think their responsibility
is to make sure that patches meet the community standards and that
there's a consensus that the patch should be merged.