Aeolus Team Leads

Jiří Stránský jistr at redhat.com
Thu Jan 10 11:39:40 UTC 2013

Martyn,

you are right that reopening discussions on already resolved issues is bad. But I think it either means that the decision really needs revising, or that some team members have concerns that need to be addressed/explained.

I'm sure you wrote this mail because of yesterday's state machine discussion. I believe all that has been said was necessary to be said. I think it would be demotivating if the discussions were to be cut. I think it's important that people at least know that their points have been heard by others and it's then very interesting to hear the response. Speaking for myself, that's perfectly enough for me. I'm very happy that I had the chance to voice the concerns and if it doesn't change things, it's perfectly fine. The reason why I bring this stuff up is that it gives me comfort to follow decisions when I know that all arguments have been taken into account. Thanks for having the patience to talk about it once more :)

Also, I think there have been new points made about the callback/polling/jobs issue yesterday, so I don't think of the discussion as a lost time.

To address the issue of having team leads, I see three main parts to team decision making:

1) Is the decision right?

2) Does it have support among the team members?

3) Was the decision fast?

I believe that picking a team lead could help point 3, but it could also hurt 1 and 2. I believe that joint opinions usually produce better results than individuals, even if the individuals are experts. Also, if a team member has to accept a decision they don't agree with, it's easier to do so when the decision is reached by discussion and backed by multiple people rather than backed by a team lead.

To sum it up, I do not oppose the idea of having a team lead per each Aeolus subproject and having Tech Cabal for cross-project issues. I think having team leads might be useful, but I view team leads as a double-bladed axe, not a silver bullet. When trying to speed up decisions and cut down on (frustrating) discussions, the team leads would have to be extra careful not to demotivate team members (hurt points 1 and 2 I wrote above). I believe a good team lead should explain decisions and address concerns, so imho chances are that in the end the situation about decisions and discussions wouldn't be much different from what we have now. However, it's still good if someone can moderate and push things forward, something like an Awesome at a cabal.

Take care,

J.