Valid Audrey return types?

Greg Blomquist gblomqui at redhat.com
Fri Sep 21 12:50:48 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

The approach seems OK, but just know that I've never personally done
anything like that before.  So afaik, you're in uncharted territory.

> Note, I don't have a clear idea of what the valid return types are
> for things listed as "returns" in deployables.  (like ipaddress and
> dbup).  Hoping full files are ok, but kind of doubtful.  Text
> strings workable?

Honestly, I have never tested the boundaries of what can be in a return
value.  But, the data is simply posted from the audrey agent to the config
server and placed into a file on the config server's filesystem.  So,
text strings and file contents are fine.  However, you'd have to read the
file contents into a string before posting it to the server.  I.e.,
there's no multipart form uploads between the agent and the config server.

Binary contents would have to be base64 encoded, I would think (and
decoded on the receiving side).

> Haven't seen any docs around this bit, but might have missed
> them. (?)

I don't that we've ever doc'd the allowable values.  Just how to use them.

> All thoughts/ideas appreciated. :)

Hope this helps.