Musing: Things we need (code-wise)

Richard Su rwsu at redhat.com
Thu Sep 13 22:12:59 UTC 2012

On 09/13/2012 02:23 PM, Matt Wagner wrote:
> I was just going to clean a whiteboard, and got to a list I named
> "Things We Need." It started off as a couple of vague thoughts, and over
> time I've been adding things that I've heard people ask about only to be
> told that they didn't exist or didn't work.
>
> Many of these are pretty open-ended, but I thought the list might lead
> to some valuable discussion, so here it is:
>
> * A good glossary of terms, with examples / use cases. Beyond the fact
>   that I struggle with some of the terms myself sometimes, it would be
>   fantastic to be able to have something to point people to when they ask
>   what realms are or why you would use Environments.
>
> * API Documentation. (There is next to none today. I believe Katello is
>   using apipie for this.)
We do have documentation for the resources we have implemented thus far
and drafts for some of the resources we're looking to implement next.
You can find them here:
https://www.aeolusproject.org/redmine/projects/aeolus/wiki#Conductor-API

I do like how Katello's api docs are structured giving information about
each parameter.
Thanks for pointing that out.
> * A real API, that presents all the functionality that exists in our UI.
Yes, we've been laying the ground work for a bigger push post 1.1. The
bigger chunks like deployables,deployments, and instances have stories
in the backlog and do need to be fleshed out.

> * Non-ugly Redmine. This is probably more of a pet peeve than something
>   that has much actual community value. But when I compare our wiki to
>   something like GitHub wikis, they just look so crisp, organized, and
>   easy to read. Also, a Markdown plugin since no I'm pretty sure no one
>   in the world uses Textile except for whoever created Redmine.
>
> * The ability to use multiple datacenters with one RHEV or vSphere
>   provider, or good documentation explaining how to handle this
>   (probably common) use case.
Some use cases on how multiple datacenters in a single provider would
work would be useful. Or how it differs from having a provider for each
datacenter. It is unclear to me how the user would like it to function.