Musing: Things we need (code-wise)

Matt Wagner matt.wagner at redhat.com
Thu Sep 13 21:23:10 UTC 2012

I was just going to clean a whiteboard, and got to a list I named
"Things We Need." It started off as a couple of vague thoughts, and over
time I've been adding things that I've heard people ask about only to be
told that they didn't exist or didn't work.

Many of these are pretty open-ended, but I thought the list might lead
to some valuable discussion, so here it is:

* A good glossary of terms, with examples / use cases. Beyond the fact
 that I struggle with some of the terms myself sometimes, it would be
 fantastic to be able to have something to point people to when they ask
 what realms are or why you would use Environments.

* API Documentation. (There is next to none today. I believe Katello is
 using apipie for this.)

* A real API, that presents all the functionality that exists in our UI.

* Non-ugly Redmine. This is probably more of a pet peeve than something
 that has much actual community value. But when I compare our wiki to
 something like GitHub wikis, they just look so crisp, organized, and
 easy to read. Also, a Markdown plugin since no I'm pretty sure no one
 in the world uses Textile except for whoever created Redmine.

* The ability to use multiple datacenters with one RHEV or vSphere
 provider, or good documentation explaining how to handle this
 (probably common) use case.

* Debian/Ubuntu guest support. (Bonus for being able to package and run
 Aeolus for Debian/Ubuntu.)

* Support for OpenStack and Rackspace. (This may work now, at least to
 some degree, but it needs testing and us to actually say that it
 works.)