[DELTACLOUD-INTERNAL] New Buttons - feedback needed

Jaromír Coufal jcoufal at redhat.com
Thu Sep 6 07:49:33 UTC 2012

On 5.9.2012 20:08, Matt Wagner wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 05, 2012 at 05:48:32PM +0200, Jaromír Coufal wrote:
>> Hello guys,
>>
>> I have prepared new buttons. You can find them here:
>> http://codepen.io/coufalj/pen/LeDbF
>>
>> Please let me know, if you think that we need some additional types
>> for Conductor or Katello. Looking forward to your feedback.
> Overall, I like these! They look good aesthetically, and I like the
> subtle color shift on hover.
>
> The button grouping looks weird to me with multi-colored buttons. This
> example might be an extreme case, though. It just looks overly colorful
> and attention-getting. (And a bit like a flag.)
This is just example, that colors could be used as well in group
combination. I will correct it to grey ones, so it won't distract from
its main purpose.

> We currently have some green buttons, especially around launch. Will
> those stay as-is, or are they going to be replaced with blue? (I have no
> opinion on the matter; just thinking out loud.)
Yeah I know. I am not sure about green ones (especially Launch
functionality; as for New Image, I am pretty sure that the green button
will change).
I was thinking about replacing them by primary blue button in future,
but as we decide to keep it green, it's very easy way how to add new color.

> One nit-picky opinion thing: at the bottom of the page, you should the
> Save button the left, and "Cancel" on the right. For whatever reason,
> this just feels backwards from what I'm used to: I expect the primary
> submit action to be on the right, with cancel being off to the left.
> This may very well be baseless and just my personal opinion (or the
> tyranny of right-handed people?), but I thought I'd mention it in case
> other people also thought it felt "backwards."
Well this one is tricky. There is not standard order across
applications. But order from left to right have its reasons:
   1) Reading from left to right.
   2) Keeping vertical flow of the form. Look at forms
http://convergeui-jcoufal.rhcloud.com/form, where you start filling each
input is from left to right at the very same /x/ position. This means,
that you have fixed /x/ and following just /y/ axis. That's why Save
button is on the left, because if it was on the right, you would brake
this rule and have vertical inconsistency. Just imagine when you follow
the form, you would expect that next step for you is next line at the
same horizontal position position and if Save was on the right, this
means that in the end you would not find it on expected place.

Reason for confirmation button on the right is, when you follow steps
and you need to go step forward (again from left to right). Then it has
logical order left = back, right = next. Usually these confirmation
buttons are aligned right, what we can't do in the case of forms.

> -- Matt
-- Jarda

--
Jaromír Coufal

Interaction Designer
Red Hat Czech s.r.o.

Mobile: +420 724 595 508
E-mail: jcoufal at redhat.com
IRC: jcoufal at #cloudforms-ui, #aeolus, #brno