dev-tools as non-root

Justin Clift jclift at redhat.com
Tue Nov 27 12:36:56 UTC 2012

On 26/11/2012, at 7:35 PM, Giulio Fidente wrote:
> hi there,
>
> as per subject, I made some changes to dev-tools to make it work
> successfully as non-root.
>
> I tested these changes on CentOS6 and F17, my pull request:
>
> https://github.com/aeolus-incubator/dev-tools/pull/7
>
> it also includes some changes to README.md as it now provides a list of
> packages to be installed system-wide before launching the script.
>
> I thought launching as non-root was useful to both end users and devs
> cause it helps with the testing, isolation from the other system
> components, deploying of more versions in parallel and also provides
> some abstraction from the hosting distro.
>
> Feedback is very much appreciated.

As additional food-for-thought on this, Daniel Berrange (extremely
capable coder on libvirt team) wrote this a week ago:

  https://berrange.com/posts/2012/11/20/what-devstack-does-to-your-host-when-setting-up-openstack-on-fedora-17/

It's about experience from trying out the OpenStack dev setup
scripts on Fedora 17 (it uses sudo).

+ Justin

--
Aeolus Cloud Evangelist