dev-tools as non-root

Giulio Fidente gfidente at fedoraproject.org
Mon Nov 26 23:36:22 UTC 2012

On 11/26/2012 08:14 PM, Crag Wolfe wrote:
> On 11/26/2012 10:35 AM, Giulio Fidente wrote:
>> Feedback is very much appreciated.
>
> Please see my comment here:
> https://github.com/aeolus-incubator/dev-tools/pull/7

hi Crag,

following you comment on github, most of the diffs were already in the
run_as_sudo branch

I've reworked my changes against the run_as_sudo branch ... but the
script in there still assumes one can run sudo.

I'd vote instead for *dropping the root requirement completely*.

Assuming we can _always_ use rbenv (and that it would probably raise our
chances of success), we can just put in the wiki a short list of
packages needed for rbenv to work (which are in the number of 5 or 6)
and cover all cases with a single script

Also, in the run_as_sudo branch I see an additional cleanup script which
we won't need when dropping the root requirement.

By now I've added some 'HAVESUDO' var on top of the script which, if set
to 1, runs the sudo when needed.

By default such a var is set to 0 as if one install the required basic
packages and provides a RBENV version, there is no need for root
credentials at all.

If these changes look fine to you, I'd be happy to update the README
accordingly.

p.s. not sure what is the right place to continue such a discussion,
github or aeolus-devel?
--
Giulio Fidente