RFC: permissions for cost entry

Andrew Fitzsimon afitzsim at redhat.com
Mon Nov 26 11:34:42 UTC 2012

On 26/11/2012, at 8:44 PM, Angus Thomas <athomas at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 11/22/2012 07:22 AM, Martin Povolny wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> I wonder if when assigning costs to hardware profiles and hardware profile
>> properties, I should use the same privilege as would be used when
>> editing the hardware profile.
>>
>> That is:
>>
>>     require_privilege(Privilege::MODIFY, @hardware_profile)
>>

>> My thinking goes:
>>
>> I don't want a separate path in the UI for assigning costs, as it would
>> be even more confusing then now. So in the place where you can find the
>> UI to edit frontend hardware profile I put the cost assignment for
>> backend profile.
>>
>> Given it's in almost the same place and from user's point of view it
>> deals with the hardware profile, then it would be logical to use the
>> same privilege.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>

> Sounds good to me, Martin.
>
> There's a whole other persona associated with deciding what the costs should be, but the person who actually assigns the costs in Conductor is likely to be the sys admin who deals with other aspects of hardware profile management.
>

> Angus

That is interesting.

So the sysadmin would do the cost constraints management alongside the rest of their duties but someone else (potentially) would simply want the cost analytics to make generic cost decisions?

Is that the right way to think about it?
The finance guy gets a dashboard and the sysadmin applies the actual cost setting rules?