Aeolus API and DMTF CIMI

Hugh Brock hbrock at redhat.com
Wed Nov 21 13:27:59 UTC 2012

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 12:37:25PM +0200, marios at redhat.com wrote:
> On 20/11/12 23:50, Matt Wagner wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 04:54:51PM +0100, Tomas Sedovic wrote:
> >> Good news everyone!
> >>
> >> During our discussions about the Aeolus API at the first Technical
> >> Cabal meeting, Michal Fojtik suggested we look at the CIMI spec
> >> (which Deltacloud partially implements).
> >>
> >> Apparently, it tackles a lot of things we are or will be discussing
> >> here, too. Things such as state changes, multi-instance deployments,
> >> networking, etc.
> >
> > This looks interesting. I'd had only brief exposure to the concept
> > prior to now, but some of the concepts it exposes do seem to line up
> > well with what we do.
> >
> > Is Deltacloud still the only project implementing this in the wild? It
>
> yes - we are aware (through our participation in dmtf cmwg) that there
> are others 'working on implementations' but we don't have anything more
> concrete than that. There is a plugfest being organised at the f2f
> meeting this December so we may learn more about other implementations
> there (David Lutterkort will be representing).
>
> > seems interesting, but I'd hate for us to implement an API that few
> > people end up using. (On the other hand, I suppose everyone else is
> > probably saying this exact same thing right now...)
>
> right... and there *are no guarantees* - however, if you look at the
> membership of the CMWG there is a serious industrial backing - Red Hat,
> Microsoft, IBM, Oracle, VMWare, Fujitsu, France Telecom, Telecom Italia,
> Telefonica and many others. I'd be surprised/disappointed if we don't
> see at least a few adopters amongst the people that made significant
> investments of time and effort to develop the spec.

I'll point out as well that a number of those large companies are
Aeolus users. So there's at least some chance they'd appreciate our
adoption of CIMI b/c they're already familiar with it...

--H

--
== Hugh Brock, hbrock at redhat.com                                   ==
== Engineering Manager, Cloud BU                                   ==

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m
not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
--Robert McCloskey