Aeolus API and DMTF CIMI

marios@redhat.com mandreou at redhat.com
Wed Nov 21 10:37:25 UTC 2012

On 20/11/12 23:50, Matt Wagner wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 04:54:51PM +0100, Tomas Sedovic wrote:
>> Good news everyone!
>>
>> During our discussions about the Aeolus API at the first Technical
>> Cabal meeting, Michal Fojtik suggested we look at the CIMI spec
>> (which Deltacloud partially implements).
>>
>> Apparently, it tackles a lot of things we are or will be discussing
>> here, too. Things such as state changes, multi-instance deployments,
>> networking, etc.
>
> This looks interesting. I'd had only brief exposure to the concept
> prior to now, but some of the concepts it exposes do seem to line up
> well with what we do.
>
> Is Deltacloud still the only project implementing this in the wild? It

yes - we are aware (through our participation in dmtf cmwg) that there
are others 'working on implementations' but we don't have anything more
concrete than that. There is a plugfest being organised at the f2f
meeting this December so we may learn more about other implementations
there (David Lutterkort will be representing).

> seems interesting, but I'd hate for us to implement an API that few
> people end up using. (On the other hand, I suppose everyone else is
> probably saying this exact same thing right now...)

right... and there *are no guarantees* - however, if you look at the
membership of the CMWG there is a serious industrial backing - Red Hat,
Microsoft, IBM, Oracle, VMWare, Fujitsu, France Telecom, Telecom Italia,
Telefonica and many others. I'd be surprised/disappointed if we don't
see at least a few adopters amongst the people that made significant
investments of time and effort to develop the spec.

>> You can download it from the DMTF website:
>>
>> http://dmtf.org/sites/default/files/standards/documents/DSP0263_1.0.1.pdf
>>
>> It's a *massive* document (178 pages, ffs) but I think it may be
>> worth checking it out.

fwiw - I've been sitting on the DMTF weekly calls for 2+ years where we
developed this spec. I don't know it by heart (!) but can definitely
help and/or point you in the right direction if there are any questions,

thanks, marios