[RELEASE] branching and tagging the components

Steve Linabery slinaber at redhat.com
Tue Nov 20 16:31:47 UTC 2012

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 05:12:15PM +0100, Giulio Fidente wrote:
> hi Steven
>
> On 11/20/2012 05:04 PM, Steve Linabery wrote:
> > It's certainly not a 'proper' release, with docs, release announcement, description of what other components are required (factory, et al).
>
> agreed, I was trying to find out if and how the tags/branches of the
> components relate to each other (inclunding factory, oz, cli, maybe TIM
> at some point in the future)

Yes, that aspect is definitely missing from the end of sprint release.

We should document at end of sprint (on wiki or elsewhere, even if it's not an actual release) what other components' version/release info was.

> >> Also, do you see the idea of tagging all the components with the same
> >> tag a valid approach or are there different suggestions?
> >
> > What I would like to see on an actual upstream release is:
> > 1) create maintenance branch and tag on that branch
> > 2) bump version number on master branch for ongoing development
>
> to be honest, I'm not sure what are the best practices for such a
> complex project where we want to merge the development efforst from
> different components, but your looks to me a good approach

In my fantasy world, dev-tools takes a tag name (or a URL to a config that we post as part of the release) and grabs/installs all the right components. We discussed this approach in our last meeting, but since then I have mentioned the idea to Crag Wolfe, who seemed open to the idea (while acknowledging that there is a lot of work to do before dev-tools can do that sort of thing for us).

s|e