Aeolus Developer Conference Report. ACKS REQUIRED BY NOV 13.

Mo Morsi mmorsi at redhat.com
Tue Nov 13 22:05:19 UTC 2012

On 11/13/2012 10:05 AM, Scott Seago wrote:
> On 11/13/2012 08:53 AM, Mo Morsi wrote:
>> Responded privately, but Hugh suggested I send it to the general list so
>> here it is
>>
>> On 11/10/2012 05:37 AM, Hugh Brock wrote:
>>> * We split into teams, each of which came back with a proposed Aeolus
>>>    mission statement. After much discussion we refined the four
>>>    proposals into one which reads:
>>>
>>>    "Aeolus mission: to provide superior tools and workflows for
>>> flexible
>>>    construction, management, and monitoring of multi-instance systems
>>>    across clouds."
>> Can we remove the words 'superior' and 'flexible'? IMO they don't add
>> much.
>>
>> Also are we just focusing on 'multi-instance systems'? Isn't providing
>> simple tools to build images and launch a single instance against any
>> generic cloud provider part of Aeolus?
> Yes, this came up in our discussions at the conference too. The
> difficulty is that it quickly starts to get awkward when you start
> adding a bunch of "or" clauses -- "single or multi-instance..." My
> take is that, it's easy enough to assume that if you can handle
> multi-instance systems, the degenerate case where "number of instances
> == 1" is clearly included too.

This isn't clear in the "multi-instance systems across clouds" mission
statement. Forgetting instances, deployments, everything else, the end
user is going to see "multi" and think: multi > 1.

We have to look at the mission statement from the perspective of a
completely new potential user who is encountering the website for the
first time.

  -Mo