Aeolus Developer Conference Report. ACKS REQUIRED BY NOV 13.

Scott Seago sseago at redhat.com
Tue Nov 13 15:05:23 UTC 2012

On 11/13/2012 08:53 AM, Mo Morsi wrote:
> Responded privately, but Hugh suggested I send it to the general list so
> here it is
>
> On 11/10/2012 05:37 AM, Hugh Brock wrote:
>> * We split into teams, each of which came back with a proposed Aeolus
>>    mission statement. After much discussion we refined the four
>>    proposals into one which reads:
>>
>>    "Aeolus mission: to provide superior tools and workflows for flexible
>>    construction, management, and monitoring of multi-instance systems
>>    across clouds."
> Can we remove the words 'superior' and 'flexible'? IMO they don't add much.
>
> Also are we just focusing on 'multi-instance systems'? Isn't providing
> simple tools to build images and launch a single instance against any
> generic cloud provider part of Aeolus?
Yes, this came up in our discussions at the conference too. The
difficulty is that it quickly starts to get awkward when you start
adding a bunch of "or" clauses -- "single or multi-instance..." My take
is that, it's easy enough to assume that if you can handle
multi-instance systems, the degenerate case where "number of instances
== 1" is clearly included too. If we don't mention multi-instance,
that's an important use case that isn't obviously considered, just from
the mission statement. Also, looking at the actual focus of what we're
building, we _are_ more focused on multi-instance systems -- even if,
we've always included "deployment size of 1" in the definition of
multi-instance system.

Scott