The Cabal meetings ought to be public

Hugh Brock hbrock at redhat.com
Mon Nov 12 14:32:06 UTC 2012

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 02:56:36PM +0100, Tomas Sedovic wrote:
> I didn't see this mentioned in any of the cabal-related e-mails,
> apologies if it was.
>
> These meetings are supposed to have influence over the direction of
> Aeolus. As such, they should be public to provide transparency and
> hold the members accountable.
>
> Note that I'm content with a "read-only" format. If the goal is to
> settle disputes and move things forward, having too many inputs
> would be detrimental.
>
> If the meetings are over IRC, this is easy. If we were to hold
> calls, I would suggest google hangouts or something similar.
>
> Thomas
>

> PS: I do realise this is contrary to the meaning of the word
> "cabal". Let's keep it anyway. It sounds better than "committee".

Yes, a public Cabal is a bit of a contradiction, but, well, as Emerson
says, "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."

Totally agree the meetings do need to be public. I think each cabal
should decide what the ideal format is for their purpose. I'd suggest a
google hangout for the initial meeting(s), with a youtube stream, but
later meetings could just as well be IRC depending on the topic.

--Hugh

--
== Hugh Brock, hbrock at redhat.com                                   ==
== Engineering Manager, Cloud BU                                   ==

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m
not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
--Robert McCloskey