Aeolus Dev Conference - Tuesday afternoon notes

Hugh Brock hbrock at redhat.com
Wed Nov 7 13:54:11 UTC 2012

On Tue, Nov 06, 2012 at 05:12:00PM +0100, Jiří Stránský wrote:
> Hopefully I got the important stuff right :)
>

> Converge UI
> ===========
>
> * Motivation - converge Aeolus Conductor and Katello web UI look, also converge
>   Conductor within itself
>
> * MIT license
>
> * Components - shell (header, footer, ...) vs. content (forms, ...)
>
> * Currently git submodule
>
> * TODO:
>
>   * More content components
>
>   * Developer guide
>
>   * Make it a separate open-source project
>
> Personas
> ========
>
> * Carl, Bert, the infrastructure consumers
>
> * Dennis, the app designer
>
> * Sam, the system administrator
>
> * /Persona descriptions will be available later/
>

> Rails Engines
> =============
>
> * A Rails App mountable into another
>
> * Isolation of Ruby namespace, routes, views
>
> * Uses the same DB as the host app, comes with own migrations
>
>   * DB tables are also namespaced
>
> * Testing with a dummy app located in test/dummy
>
> * http://edgeguides.rubyonrails.org/engines.html
>
> Tim
> ===
>
> * Rails Engine that talks to ImageFactory
>
> * ImageWarehouse will be dropped
>
> * Tim works with ImageFactory v2
>
>   * Build is no longer there (it's a Conductor concept)
>
>   * Metadata also stored in Conductor
>
>   * ImageFactory's model: BaseImage ---< TargetImage ---< ProviderImage
>
> * Tim responsibilities
>
>   * Template store
>
>   * Versioning
>
>   * Custom data
>
>   * Image imports
>
>   * Error & status reporting
>
>   * Metadata store
>
> Alberich
> ========
>
> * Rails Engine for permissions
>
> * The functionality is already present in conductor, now it's being factored out
>
> * Reusable roles
>
>   * Assigned not to only user/group, but to pairs - (user, object) or (group,
>     object) => that results in (user, role, object) tuple
>
>   * E.g. Frank is an owner of deployable Abcdef
>
> * Querying - `check_privilege` vs. asserting `require_privilege`
>
> * Filtering ActiveRecord queries - `list_for_user`
>
> * Requires classes to represent users and groups (class names are
>   configurable). The classes that represent target objects must include
>   PermissionedObject mixin.

Thanks Jirka, this is very helpful. As those of you who couldn't make it
to Brno can see, it was a very busy day...

--Hugh

--
== Hugh Brock, hbrock at redhat.com                                   ==
== Engineering Manager, Cloud BU                                   ==

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m
not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
--Robert McCloskey