Katello-Foreman-Aeolus Integration

Giulio Fidente gfidente at redhat.com
Tue Jun 26 19:26:40 UTC 2012

On 06/26/2012 09:11 PM, Chris Alfonso wrote:
> There has been a bit of discussion going on around how we might go
> about using foreman's ability to do host provisioning with aeolus
> and katello.

not sure it will be of great help but for a GPS engagement we're
currently working on some integration of Foreman and CloudEngine; we
drive both from the rest apis from a customized web frotend

we don't need of Foreman provisioning capabilities, so we run it with
the 'unattended' mode disabled

features we currently use:

- parameters for hosts (still these are global vars)
- hostgroups (as these are needed to inherit various and different
classes)

the puppetmaster is autosigning client's certificates; we use audrey
to set the puppet-agent environment at launch time

at launch time we POST (via foreman rest api) a new host into puppet,
also setting its environment, hostgroup and passing to some host
parameters, reused by the puppet classes

puppet environments/classes/hostgroups definitions on the puppetmaster
are managed by their ITops

this allows the customer for a completely independent management of
the puppet/foreman stuff while giving cloud users a chance to 'use'
those services
--
Giulio Fidente, gpg key id 08D733BA