ACA Side Topic - Proposal: templates.aeolusproject.org

Mo Morsi mmorsi at redhat.com
Mon Jun 25 17:54:35 UTC 2012

On 06/20/2012 11:05 AM, Justin Clift wrote:
> On 08/06/2012, at 5:46 PM, Mo Morsi wrote:
> <snip>
>> Shameless self promotion, but the Snap tool [1] that I've been
>> sporadically working on has the ability to generate TDL's from a running
>> cloud instance. I could easily add the ability to tie this to this site,
>> where a user can automatically upload a TDL corresponding to an instance
>> they have running on the cloud.
> Curiosity question... how does Snap handle old package versions and manual
> customisations?
>
> For (rough) example, if a cloud instance was originally built using ancient
> versions of packages, plus someone logged into it post build to make manual
> changes.
>
> Would the version "rebuilt" from Snap's TDL of it have the manual changes,
> and would it want to use the same ancient package versions? (or would it go
> for newer versions?)
>
> :)
>
> + Justin
>
> --
> Aeolus Community Manager
> http://www.aeolusproject.org

The way snap currently works is it stores the packages that are
installed with their versions and anything which has been modified
post-installation.

When restoring the snapshot, whichever is the latest version of the
package in the available repos at the time is used. The version of the
package that is stored in the snapshot isn't used during the restoration
process. Though it would be fairly easy to add the capability to give
preference to that version when restoring the package if we wanted.

  -Mo