Deltacloud Tracker Design (Draft)

Matt Wagner matt.wagner at redhat.com
Thu Jun 7 20:35:39 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jun 07, 2012 at 09:15:58PM +0200, Jan Provazník wrote:
> Hi Lutter,
> Michal pointed me to your draft of Tracker design which looks great.
> Couple of notes are inline. Sending it to aeolus-devel list too so
> others can join.
>
> Original doc can be found here:
> https://raw.github.com/lutter/deltacloud/tracker/design/site/content/tracker.mdown

FWIW,
https://github.com/lutter/deltacloud/blob/tracker/design/site/content/tracker.mdown
is a formatted version of the same.

> >---
> >title: Deltacloud Tracker Design (Draft)
> >extension: html
> >filter:
> >  - markdown
> >  - outline
> >---
> >
> ># Introduction
> >
> >The purpose of Deltacloud Tracker [TODO: find a snazzier name] is to allow
> >clients to be notified of state changes in cloud resources through
> >callbacks rather than by polling themselves. Under the hood, the tracker
> >will of course have to poll, too.

I may be missing some context, but this seems to overlap very heavily
with what we try to do with dbomatic, except that our implementation is
in need of an overhaul. This seems like it might be the perfect
opportunity to put in motion some of the ideas we've been talking about,
such as building out modular tools that exist somewhere in between
Aeolus and Deltacloud but aren't necessarily firmly anchored to one.

Right now, dbomatic just polls cloud providers through Deltacloud and
directly updates the Conductor database. We've talked in the past about
how we don't love this, and how one option might be to call into
Conductor in some fashion to effect updates.

So a sort of engine that sits there polling cloud providers for changes,
and fires notifications to registered agents when things change, could
seemingly fulfill our dbomatic needs and also act as the "Tracker" you
describe.

Does this make sense, or am I just a crazy idealist? I don't have a
strong opinion whether it's a "Deltacloud thing" or an "Aeolus thing,"
but I think it would be useful for both of us.