RFC: Adding Useful reports and Statistical Data

Jirka Tomasek jtomasek at redhat.com
Tue Jul 24 08:12:56 UTC 2012

On 07/23/2012 09:48 PM, Tzu-Mainn Chen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've recently outlined a proposal to add reports and statistical data to conductor.  The link is below, but first here's a summary of the idea.
>
> Conductor is currently very straightforward in what it does: it creates, modifies, and destroys entities of various types.  These are the most important functions, of course, but now that they are somewhat established, I think it'd be useful to think a bit beyond that.  To give an example: when you first start up and install conductor, you'll probably want to do a lot of configuration with, say, providers and provider accounts.  However, after that initial work, your needs are likely to be much different.  On the provider level, you might want to see things like utilization over the past week, or providers that have thrown errors, etc.
>
> I've recently pushed a patch that provides such data to the provider index page.  It should provide a good, working illustration of what I'm talking about (and it also re-creates a missing index page, so no toes were stepped on!)  I'd like to start adding similar data to other pages, but I wanted to see other people's thoughts first.
>
> A summarized goal list would be as follows:
>
> a) create libraries to help with re-use of graph and statistics code
> b) add statistics and data to various index and show pages
> c) create a dashboard that pulls "key" information from around the website.  For example, it might include the most utilized/error-prone provider accounts and deployables; overall utilization for the past week; etc.
>
> https://www.aeolusproject.org/redmine/projects/aeolus/wiki/Add_Targeted_Reports_and_Statistical_Data
>
> Thanks,
> Tzu-Mainn Chen

Hi,

based on your providers patch, I like the idea of having statistical
data available, but I think it is necessary not to forget to maintain
the basic list of (users, pool_families, pools etc.) and possibility to
filter and maintain this data. As a user I want to be able to see the
list of providers (users etc.) and be able to filter this list, remove
and add data to this list. This kind of conflicts with the provider
statistics list as the filter there filters the data from the statistics
point of view. So what I propose is to keep the current index views and
add the "Statistics" tab that would contain the data and filters you
propose. Othervise we might be loosing finctionality in spite of another
finctionality.

Also Jaromir could have valuable input on how to display these data.

Jirka