moving wiki content

Matt Wagner matt.wagner at redhat.com
Wed Dec 19 14:38:50 UTC 2012

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 07:10:35AM -0500, Mo Morsi wrote:
> On 12/17/2012 03:22 PM, Matt Wagner wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 10:44:54AM -0500, Mo Morsi wrote:
> >>    The following is the list of wiki pages grouped by their ultimate
> >>    destination. If there are any errors please reply here. I'll start the
> >>    migration process this week.
> >>
> >>    Still need to figure out how to handle images and files that have been
> >>    uploaded and links to other wiki pages.
> >>
> >>      -Mo
> >>
> >>    -----------------------------
> >>
> >>    to site wiki:
> > We never found a better place, though the website's wiki feels like an
> > odd spot. I'd almost be up for just putting these on the Conductor wiki,
> > since it's sort of been a de facto location for stuff that's
> > cross-project.
>
> -1 this isn't the plan we agreed upon before I started working on this.
>
> We had explicitly wanted to split the content up, between the umbrella
> (Aeolus), the all-in-one solution (conductor), and the other wikis.
>
> We had discussed alternatives to using the site wiki, but the only one
> we came up with was using a mediawiki instance. We didn't want to do
> this since the last mediawiki instance we instance was littered with
> spam, though in retrospect I'm sure we could have found a way to deal w/
> that.

Ah, okay. I remember that discussion, though I forgot we decided to use
the site wiki. In any event, I don't have a better suggestion. (It also
looks like the Tech Cabal has been keeping notes there already, so
there's a precedent for its use.)

> I am willing to compromise. If anyone insists on not using the site
> wiki, I'll do the export, generating tarballs with the content separated
> in the manner I described below, and hand them off to whoever wants to
> take it from there.
>

> >    to other wikis:
> >    Building_Images_for_RHEL (imagefactory, oz)
> >    Development_Setup (imagefactory, oz)
> >    Image_Management_Engine (tim)
> >    Oz_template_description_language (oz)
> > Not to complicate things, but some of these (such as the 'Building
> > Images for RHEL' page) were things meant to be how-to guides for
> > Conductor users, IIRC. It's interesting to me that there are only four
> > pages that don't fall into the project-wide or Conductor categories so
> > far -- it almost makes me wonder if we should just lump everything under
> > one wiki.
>
> I'm fine w/ the first one being on the conductor wiki.
>

> >>    excluding: (Most of these are feature pages, alot of these are done or no
> >>    longer apply)
> >>    *Sprint*
> > Is there historic value in these?
>
> Again the original plan was to _not_ delete anything off the old wiki,
> just lock it down.

Sorry, my memory must be going...

> Everything being migrated and everything excluded will still be
> available there in read-only mode.
>
> At some point in the far future (lets say 6 months from now) we can look
> at whether or not we want to take redmine down for good.
>

> >>    Adding_Caching_to_Conductor
> >>    Adding_Permission_Grant_list_to_UserGroup_Profile_UI
> >>    Add_Targeted_Reports_and_Statistical_Data
> >>    Adding_User_Groups
> >>    Aeolus-configure
> >>    Aeolus_vs_OpenStack
> >>    Aeolus_User_Stories
> >>    Aeolus_uninstall
> >>    Allow_Conductor_to_keep_a_history_of_deployment_activity
> >>    All_provider_config_to_reside_in_Conductor
> >>    Auto_Scaling
> >>    Background_Processing
> >>    Clearing_iwhd
> > I was looking for this page just the other day, trying to help someone
> > with a messed-up 1.0 install. I expect this is quite uncommon, but it
> > kind of makes me wonder if there's more value than meets the eye in
> > keeping some of these pages around.
>
> Same comment as above. Unless there is a specific reason not to exclude
> it (eg 'we need xyz because ...') we can leave it on the old read-only
> wiki until someone needs it (and then they can move it to wherever they
> want themselves ;-) ).
>

> >>    Using_the_Rails_console
> > I'd put this together a while back to help less-technical people. I'm
> > not sure anyone has used it in a while, though it may still have value.
>
> This is fine, will move this to the conductor wiki.
>
> >>    V2 Conductor*
> >>    Wiki
> > This appears to be the main page. Are we just going to rename it?
>
> There are actually many pages that contain this same content. Not really
> sure why we have several copies.

Odd...

> > Thanks for putting this together, Mo. Seems like we had an awful lot of
> > stuff on the wiki!
>
> Hence the mid-to-end of January timeline! ;-) (which now is seeming a
> little tight in itself)
>
>   -Mo

Okay, sorry for my apparent memory lapses. I didn't mean to contradict
what had already been decided, and I didn't realize the plan was to keep
the old wiki read-only. That eliminates most of my concerns!