moving wiki content

Mo Morsi mmorsi at redhat.com
Wed Dec 19 12:10:35 UTC 2012

On 12/17/2012 03:22 PM, Matt Wagner wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 10:44:54AM -0500, Mo Morsi wrote:
>>    The following is the list of wiki pages grouped by their ultimate
>>    destination. If there are any errors please reply here. I'll start the
>>    migration process this week.
>>
>>    Still need to figure out how to handle images and files that have been
>>    uploaded and links to other wiki pages.
>>
>>      -Mo
>>
>>    -----------------------------
>>
>>    to site wiki:
> We never found a better place, though the website's wiki feels like an
> odd spot. I'd almost be up for just putting these on the Conductor wiki,
> since it's sort of been a de facto location for stuff that's
> cross-project.

-1 this isn't the plan we agreed upon before I started working on this.

We had explicitly wanted to split the content up, between the umbrella
(Aeolus), the all-in-one solution (conductor), and the other wikis.

We had discussed alternatives to using the site wiki, but the only one
we came up with was using a mediawiki instance. We didn't want to do
this since the last mediawiki instance we instance was littered with
spam, though in retrospect I'm sure we could have found a way to deal w/
that.

I am willing to compromise. If anyone insists on not using the site
wiki, I'll do the export, generating tarballs with the content separated
in the manner I described below, and hand them off to whoever wants to
take it from there.

>    to other wikis:
>    Building_Images_for_RHEL (imagefactory, oz)
>    Development_Setup (imagefactory, oz)
>    Image_Management_Engine (tim)
>    Oz_template_description_language (oz)
> Not to complicate things, but some of these (such as the 'Building
> Images for RHEL' page) were things meant to be how-to guides for
> Conductor users, IIRC. It's interesting to me that there are only four
> pages that don't fall into the project-wide or Conductor categories so
> far -- it almost makes me wonder if we should just lump everything under
> one wiki.

I'm fine w/ the first one being on the conductor wiki.

>>    excluding: (Most of these are feature pages, alot of these are done or no
>>    longer apply)
>>    *Sprint*
> Is there historic value in these?

Again the original plan was to _not_ delete anything off the old wiki,
just lock it down.

Everything being migrated and everything excluded will still be
available there in read-only mode.

At some point in the far future (lets say 6 months from now) we can look
at whether or not we want to take redmine down for good.

>>    Adding_Caching_to_Conductor
>>    Adding_Permission_Grant_list_to_UserGroup_Profile_UI
>>    Add_Targeted_Reports_and_Statistical_Data
>>    Adding_User_Groups
>>    Aeolus-configure
>>    Aeolus_vs_OpenStack
>>    Aeolus_User_Stories
>>    Aeolus_uninstall
>>    Allow_Conductor_to_keep_a_history_of_deployment_activity
>>    All_provider_config_to_reside_in_Conductor
>>    Auto_Scaling
>>    Background_Processing
>>    Clearing_iwhd
> I was looking for this page just the other day, trying to help someone
> with a messed-up 1.0 install. I expect this is quite uncommon, but it
> kind of makes me wonder if there's more value than meets the eye in
> keeping some of these pages around.

Same comment as above. Unless there is a specific reason not to exclude
it (eg 'we need xyz because ...') we can leave it on the old read-only
wiki until someone needs it (and then they can move it to wherever they
want themselves ;-) ).

>>    Using_the_Rails_console
> I'd put this together a while back to help less-technical people. I'm
> not sure anyone has used it in a while, though it may still have value.

This is fine, will move this to the conductor wiki.

>>    V2 Conductor*
>>    Wiki
> This appears to be the main page. Are we just going to rename it?

There are actually many pages that contain this same content. Not really
sure why we have several copies.

> Thanks for putting this together, Mo. Seems like we had an awful lot of
> stuff on the wiki!

Hence the mid-to-end of January timeline! ;-) (which now is seeming a
little tight in itself)

  -Mo