Image Management Engine Name Suggestions

Matt Wagner matt.wagner at redhat.com
Fri Aug 17 19:08:16 UTC 2012

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 02:16:55PM -0400, Jason Guiditta wrote:
> >Image management engine is the API for Factory and the data structures
> >associated with images and templates, right?
> >
> >Factory wraps Oz. Oz is (I believe) so named because it operates in an
> >imaginary land (the virtual machine). You get to Oz via Kansas. So, you
> >could call the thing Kansas... or maybe more poetically, "tornado" or
> >"whirlwind."
> >
> How about dorothy, since she didn't know what she was getting into?

LOL

> Or toto for that matter?  Or perhaps some obscure character few would
> know? Hugh, I'll rely on you for that part, you always force me to
> google your references.

Tin Man somehow sounds like a good name, though I'm struggling to think
of an actual connection.

> * Kinds of clowns (or names, bozo, biny, etc) - how fitting would that
>   be?

Fizbo? (Anyone else watch Modern Family?)

> * Fish, starting with halibut, of course.
> * Roundhouse, to go with the train/conductor theme

Freight train.

> * Something about a loading dock, to go with factory theme

Forklift. Used to move things around and out of a factory when they're
done, and powered by an engine.

> * Coco-slug - (coco=CrOssClOud, slug = similar chunk naming to heroku
>   and openshift), take off of coco-puffs, could be a whole cereal
>   theme....

I still like this line of thinking, but "Coco-slug" makes me think of an
infected coconut with slugs coming out of it. Katello also has a -slug
component or two. We'd talked about "CroCoBits" which sounds a little
more cereal-y and a little less infested. Plus the images are "bits".

When I ran cross-country in a former life, it was "XC". We could borrow
that here. xci = Cross-Cloud Images?

> * Vaporware! (we should have used this from the beginning..)

This needs to be used somewhere.

Also: "Publicist" -- used to manage one's image. (Obviously for another
sense of the word "image".)