Image Management Engine Name Suggestions

Hugh Brock hbrock at redhat.com
Fri Aug 17 16:19:26 UTC 2012

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 04:55:24PM +0100, Martyn Taylor wrote:
> Gentlemen,
>
> To follow rubygem tradition we have decided to come up with a more
> catchy name for Image Management Engine.  Because, well, Image
> Management Engine is pretty dull.  This task is harder than it
> seems.  It turns out the creative side of my mind has been locked
> away in a little box.  I'm hoping one day I'll find the key, but
> right now it's looking grim so I'm relying on you guys for
> inspiration :)
>
> We're open to all suggestions wackier the more memorable :).  One
> thing we would like is do is keep in with the Cloud or Conductor
> theme.
>
> Any ideas?

Image management engine is the API for Factory and the data structures
associated with images and templates, right?

Factory wraps Oz. Oz is (I believe) so named because it operates in an
imaginary land (the virtual machine). You get to Oz via Kansas. So, you
could call the thing Kansas... or maybe more poetically, "tornado" or
"whirlwind."

Or if you wanted to be off the wall you could just call it "Winged
Monkey" and let people ask.

I thought of "Emerald City" too, but I'm not sure exactly how that
relates, other than that the Emerald City has gates, and the IME is kind
of a gateway to Oz in a sense.

This is such fun...

--H

--
== Hugh Brock, hbrock at redhat.com                                   ==
== Engineering Manager, Cloud BU                                   ==

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m
not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
--Robert McCloskey